Smoke On the Window Sill

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Reflections of a Dead Autumn


Posted by Hello

So I went back by the bridge today.....six months after the shades of last fall, to make my peace with my world. The air was crisp as I took, slow but steady steps towards the much coveted spot by the handrail. The bells in the downtown church struck a myriad tunes, as the veil of dusk stealthily covered the evening sky. I walked past two smiling shadows sitting on the lone bench facing the other side........

It had been a tough couple of days. Behind all the laughs, that I had hidden myself in, I knew I had really wanted to let go for sometime. A close friends’, dad had been detected with cancer.....and his pain had numbed me completely for a while. I hadn’t seen or thought about death from so close a distance, for quite sometime. For me too, it was one of those things that always happen to other people - never to you, or someone close to you. Only when the myth breaks, do you realize, that all the woes of your life – are so trivial, so nonexistent, so futile - compared to the transiency of life......compared to this one fact that someone, soon, might not survive?

It’s funny, how I thought, up until a few days ago, that my differences with R were perhaps the source of my deepest pain all my life.....and that I would do anything to just get out of the situation I was in. And then, this happened. Now, I think, life, maybe is too short for differences in the mind....what is losing touch anyways, compared to the fact that, someone this moment, is losing life....

Somewhere in the distance, I watched yet another day die. The sky donned itself in a blanket of vermilion, and the sun hid a smile behind the grim confusion of the woods on the riverside. The reflections of the trees, stared at me like illusions, in the mirror of my life – a lot more profound than what they actually looked like?

As I left them, I silently let out a cry – maybe, tomorrow, everything will be fine.....

11 Comments:

Blogger buckwaasur said...

nice one...great pic to go with it too...:-)

here's to closures...:-)

10:53 PM, April 16, 2005  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

beautiful blog, lovely pic!! :-))

"maybe, tomorrow, everything will be fine....."
dont forget the 'fiddle-de-dee!!
;-))

12:52 AM, April 17, 2005  
Blogger Sumita said...

"Somewhere in the distance, I watched yet another day die"

beautiful!!!the transience of time and everything tied up in it....isnt that what we get all tied up in...?

7:26 AM, April 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of the ironies of life is that it's too short but can be too long also....

nice blog and pic, btw.

3:58 PM, April 17, 2005  
Blogger NS said...

Very poignant blog, great pic there... I too happened to confront death from a very very close distance recently, and it left me completely numb...

Death is probably the only reality in life, everything else being jus a mirage, so trivial!

12:25 AM, April 18, 2005  
Blogger asuph said...

enig,

beautifully written.

it's tomorrow already. and I hope everything is fine!

it's amazing how a brush with even the idea of death can change you. it's one thing that makes life so special.

take care,
asuph.

2:15 AM, April 18, 2005  
Blogger El enigma said...

thanx for ur words, guys....

enig!

10:15 AM, April 18, 2005  
Blogger El enigma said...

true SSM...the first impressions are the scariest kinds...and the ones which leave an indelible mark on our minds....and sometimes, I wish it were not so ....that we were able to forget those first childhood unpleasant memories which we just get used to carrying around with us for an eternity....an eternity longer than even life...

enig!

3:52 PM, April 19, 2005  
Blogger koolsome said...

gr8 blog with beautiful pics. I think i am going to like it in here!! :)

9:09 AM, April 20, 2005  
Blogger DAY-DREAMER said...

the picture is stunning & the words are beautiful.

2:21 AM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger El enigma said...

thanx koolsome, daydreamer..one of my favorite pics too :)

5:17 PM, December 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home