Smoke On the Window Sill

Monday, March 13, 2006

Where the mind is without fear



I've written this blog in support of Blank Noise Project who are fighting a brave fight against street harassment. I might be a little late, but I had to say it, just for the record!


How old was I? I don’t remember, think I was in 7th, so that makes me 13. We had a near accident with a bike - my dad, mom, sis, and I. We were in a car – and a pair of irresponsible guys on the bike, were the cause of it. They swore some foul expletives at us, I think. Dad went out, confronted them and things got messy. The last I remember they hit dad, and he was bleeding somewhere. Someone called the police and the situation got worse. Dad wanted to stay there, to file an FIR - my mom wanted me and my sis to go back home. So, we took a rickshaw and headed home.

I come from a city in Punjab. Rickshaws are a common means of transport there, so it was no big deal. Di and I were both too tired from the day, and worried about mom and dad. It was getting dark and we were almost home. There were noises in the background, of people traveling, here and there - noises almost fading into a blur. Somewhere in the distance, a noise must have grown louder. A bike was behind us, I think, but we didn’t pay much attention to it. Almost a split second later, the bike came side by side with the rickshaw, and out of nowhere, a hand reached out at my chest and pulled my breasts....

It must have hurt and I must have screamed, I don’t remember. What I do remember is that I felt a knot down my stomach somewhere and a strong sense of repulsion down my whole body – repulsion, almost at my own flesh. I wanted to throw up right there, but I didn’t. I wanted to cry right then, but I didn’t. I heard di saying that it was okay. I must have stared at her – because I couldn’t possibly fathom what was it, that was okay? The rest of the evening is sort of blotted out from my memory. All I remember from then, is hot tears rolling down my cheek for almost an hour, in a lonely corner of my bathroom, back home.

It was a day, forgotten in hurry, by others - but it was a day when I had my first 'brush' with reality. Reality, which was to grow only gloomier in the days to come, for little was I to know then, that I would land up in good old Delhi, to pursue my undergraduate education – Delhi, which was indeed the hot spot of this fucking reality. So, a young girl of only 18, I landed up in Delhi – with dreams in my eyes and euphoria down my sleeves, euphoria which was soon to morph into severe nausea....

I stepped into my college life, about 8 years back, and realized that mine too was a campus maybe, like every other. The eve teasing began again, on a light flirtatious note some times – but became out of bounds at others. And then one night, when I was returning back to the hostel from somewhere within the campus, a bunch of guys did the bike trick with me again – you know, zooming besides you, and then coming back straight on, with their headlights shining on your face - something which seems so insipid and dull when you hear about it from someone else– unless ofcourse, the face that is shining behind those bike lights is yours.....

I found my voice, then, in my second year of college life, on that fateful day - and made a promise to myself, to make a difference. I wrote in my college magazine, about that incident, and against many others which the gals on the campus had to silently suffer through, all the time. Needless to say, the article met with a resistance. I heard a lot of sarcasm about it the whole year, but that did not deter me. I realized at that time, how important it was to let people know of their wrongdoings, and not to suffer alone, in silence....

It happened again in the subway, one fine day, when a guy passing by, made some lecherous comments on my busts. I threw the coke that I was carrying in my hands on his face and ran after him – but he escaped by. It happened again, when this middle aged man on a scooter coming from the front, found me on a lone street, gave me a heinous smile, and did something so disgusting, that words fail me when I think about it, even today. That man too rushed away, but his face haunts me till date. It happened again, when my teenage incident repeated, back in my hometown, exactly in the same manner it had happened before. Except that this time around, I shouted and swore, and tried to get a glimpse of that man beneath that helmet on the bike or a fucking number on his number plate. It happened again on a busy railway station, when I was getting late for my train. I asked someone for the train time, and after giving me that, he also gave me a piece of his mind, on how I looked that night. It happened again, in a bus when I found strange hands land on my butt from behind, only to look back and find blank faces staring at me from all sides....
Each one of those incidents stung so bad, and each one of them left a hole wide open in my heart. Slowly and slowly the truth began to sink in. The truth that I lived in an insane world, where I could be violated all the time - in busy market places, on lonely streets, in crowded theatres, or even on everyday bus rides. I lost count of how many times I went through all that shit and much more. Yes, I did come out of it unscathed, except that the wounds that I incurred, were more than a skin deep. But true, I was now a stronger person, in body, mind and soul, than I might have been otherwise. And I left all that hurt, pain and bitterness behind, when I came here, to the US almost four years back. But there are memories unspoken, that haunt me still. And when they do, sometimes the dam breaks loose, and I’m mad again at all those, who almost made me loose my faith in humanity, a long time back. I say, almost because I did not let them. I say almost, because I know that for every grim reality that I faced then, I’ve seen a lovelier hue in my world now. I say almost because for every tear that I cried then, I have laughed heartily so many times now.....

Strangely enough, people are amused when I speak so strongly about this topic, in public anytime. So, why don’t you girls just get over it, they ask? We do, I tell them –come out of it stronger than you would possibly imagine, but that still that does not make you want to forgive or forget even one of such disgusting incidents anytime. Why is physical violation a blasphemy, some ask? What is so sacred about your body that makes it all an unforgivable crime? Nothing, I tell them - just that it is my body and nobody else but me has a right to decide what I want to do with it. I have a right to walk, like you do, on the streets fearlessly– I have a right to live the life that you do, of a carefree existence and I have a right to just be who I am, and not your perception of who I should be.

So, here’s a wish for all those, who are fighting a brave fight against street harassment. Here’s wishing that we find our voices, before they strangle them aside, here’s wishing that we sing our songs, in the melodies that we like and here’s wishing that one day, we walk down the streets of our country with our heads held high....

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much .. in fact everything written here .. I could relate to .. all of us - women who grew up in India have similar stories and when you read something like this .. its both heart-breaking and bracing to know.. that you are not alone. How is it ever going to stop - noone knows .. but thanks for speaking up .. thanks for writing this ..
Did not know about this project black-noise.. dunno how I missed it .. or I would have written my very own story.

6:34 AM, March 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetheart,

I have no idea what to say, except that the courage and gutso you've gathered over the years remain stronger and grow in strength each day for you and the kind.

As for the mofo's who get away some time, well, theres that their little stick of contention that is the root of all problems should be dealt taliban-wise.they actually used to cut their ding dong's after a public hearing. But again we aint Taleban...

Dont know what else to say. Its just shocking and unnerving at times... to even think of these situations next time my mom and cousins are travelling...

7:11 AM, March 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

enig,

Nothing, I tell them - just that it is my body and nobody else but me has a right to decide what I want to do with it. I have a right to walk, like you do, on the streets fearlessly– I have a right to live the life that you do, of a carefree existence and I have a right to just be who I am, and not your perception of who I should be.


amen to that. beautifully written as always. in these last few days i've read so many of these blogs and yet each new one stuns me in its own way, and shames me a bit too, for for years when some of the guys that I knew have been involved in eve teasing, at times even in front of me and apart from a frown of displeasure i didn't do a thing. i guess one tends to believe at that age that this is a normal things that some guys will do. i've even seen otherwise nice guys passing a comment or two to show solidarity with the group. thankfully, the recluse that I always was, peer pressure was least of my worries.

and i know even today if i confront those same guys, they'll not feel even a hint of remorse, and that's because they've never been made to feel it, by peers and friends (which, i believe, has the biggest impact). hopefully hearing these horror stories from those who're on the receiving end may change a few of them, or even make them think. like all things it's the critical mass that is important here, and it always happens slowly.

i'm glad, though, that women are at least speaking about it. it's a first step, but a big step.

regards,
asuph.

7:21 AM, March 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey aria, similar stories, only faces change. And yes, it would be a slow change probably, but one that is really needed in the suffocating streets of our country...

hey pradzie, asuph...thanx guys, for reading this and making me feel that my words have not gone to waste....it took me a lot of effort to get this out of my system, and even if I make one person realize how important it is to speak up, or how ugly the truth is back home, I would feel that I've made my own little contribution to make a difference....

true, asuph...many ppl take the veil of peer pressure, but I still believe that if you have a mind of your own, peer pressure is nothing too hard to surmount..and even a hundred people doing the same wrong, does not make it right, right?

enig

3:23 PM, March 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first read thru Ur post, what struck me was the sheer frequency with which such incidents were repeated over & over again. If i were to read this without knowing that this happened to Enig (or someone else whom i happen to know), then perhaps I would have been bit skeptical coz it seems too far fetched to happen so many times with the same person. But coming from you, it really puts the whole menace in perspective (for me). It was an eye-opening post, I am sure anyone who reads it would be stirred from his/her passive apathy towards such incidents.

9:27 PM, March 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey IW, I know u've clarified, but I'd still like to add.....if on top of what happens on the street, women now have to start proving their credibilities, then it's a shame...because as bilbo said, some of us learnt not to take that crap and retort back...but there are thousands who haven't (as yet).....and atleast some of them can use the voices of people around them to make their first stand...

and I'm sure there are even women around you...in your friends, cousins, relatives who have perhaps gone through all this and much more....but never talked to u about them....because of the sheer nature of the incidents involved...

it took a well educated, liberated, and quite open minded person like me so long to come to terms with these facts, my heart flinches to even think about those who don't have the mere luxury to be likewise...

enig

12:03 AM, March 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thx for sharing yor story El. Been through all that too...

7:57 AM, March 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am glad u dropped by louve...

I still owe u that email, I know :)

take care,
enig

8:27 AM, March 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

been thru all that u have written and much more..
*sigh* i really wonder if i can EVER speak up.. not even in writing i guess..
aint my fault that i'm a girl. .

nice post enig!

1:30 AM, April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey survivor...thanx for stopping by...

I had my qualms too, about writing this...but I realized that just writing about it for the first time was a huge catharsis experience in itself...I suddenly felt a lot lighter and less bitter after putting it all down..so,here's wishing that u are able to do that too, for urself, sometime :)

take care,
enig

9:12 PM, April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enig,

Your blog is an extremely strong statement, and I do hope the whole effort gets the right impact. All the blogs I have read written for this project show how hard it is for women to walk around even in the most "developed" parts of the country. The whole social fabric needs a strong scrubbing, and maybe as more voices join in, the disgust expressed will permeate and reach them, the street dogs who bite at every opportunity and bark at every occasion.

((Goosebumps all over: the expression was immaculate))

9:52 AM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey vivek...true, developed is nothing but a misnomer for many parts of India...but I do hope things change sometime in the near future...till then, I think it's important to keep that faith and not lose hope completely..

enig

7:12 PM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear "where the mind is without fear"

I was looking for a small bit to use in an article that i was writing on the BlankNoise Project, but reading through this post i realised that every single bit is really powerful; it articulates the experience only too well.

Thanks for saying it all!

Would you be okay if I post it as an article on our website? URL
http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/archive/7823

best of luck!

2:01 AM, June 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey geetha...sure, not a problem. I'll only be glad that the message is read by those who need to realize these bitter truths in India....sorry, I hadn't read ur comment earlier...it will be great if you cud send me the link to the article if you decide to post it...

cheers,
enig

12:47 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting.

Harassment is so commonplace...But that doesn't mean that it should be accepted. However, something that bothers me is that often I don't know how to deal with. Should I turn around and mouth the choice absuses at the tip of my tongue? Or is that only seen as encouragement? I feel physically threatened because I, like many women, am physically weaker than men.

But speaking out is something we can do. It is something we must do.

Thank you again.
Shuchi

10:05 AM, July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Shuchi..I can understand ur dilemma, but what I found useful was this....if u r in a place where there r other ppl around, I think it is better to create a fuss than to let it all pass silently - shout, scream, do anything - and don't take any crap...if possible, note down the details like bike number, car number, etc of that person and if you have the energy, enthu and time report it to the police. I know it is a painful process, but it might just be worth it...but if you are alone, you have to really careful - maybe it's better to let these people just pass then, but do make a mental note of where and under what circumstances it happened and then maybe report or make your friends aware of it atleast...it's a living mess that we 'live' in, nahin?

take care,
enig

12:42 PM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger Gazelle Aparajita said...

Gosh, takes a Delhi woman to know one.
One of the reasons I came back to the US..it feels so good to walk on the streets without being stared at..and I can wear sandals, paint my toenails and walk in bare feet :)

2:21 AM, March 12, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home